Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Don't call it MySpace for Artists!

Awww yeah. You found Humble Voice.

I read about Humble Voice on (in? what's the proper preposition for online media??) Solution Watch this morning. It's an online community specifically built "by artists for artists". Hooray! This site has a lovely graphic design and a "gallery" feature that lets artists compile works into multiple galleries to display on their profile.

Key differences between sites like this one and my concept:

My site focuses on a specific geographic region: the Bay Area
The intent here is for the virtual community to support and augment the actual real-life community. I'm looking for real impact with tangible results - like more work being produced, more money being contributed, and more audience members filling the seats. Not that I don't think sites like Humble Voice can do that, too. I just think starting small and focused a.) makes it more likely and b.) speeds up the process.

My site is about funding projects
I want my users to take a step beyond becoming virtual buddies with an artist they think is cool. I want my users to contribute real-life resources to a project they think is worthwhile - a project they want to see happen.

My site includes arts organizations
My real passion: the grassroots arts organizations. I want to see organizations like City Concert Opera succeed. I want my site to provide them with the tools to do that.

In any event, I'm excited to see communities like Humble Voice cropping up. The more places for artists to flourish, the better.

No comments:

Google Groups Subscribe to Micro-Philanthropy for Bay Area Arts
Email:
Browse Archives at groups.google.com